While preparing for a talk on in-game photography, I happily found out that our article “Camera Ludica: Reflections on Photography in Video Games” by Marco de Mutiis and yours truly is now available open access. If you are interested in learning about the interrelations between computer games and photography just follow the DOI link:
Möring, Sebastian und Marco de Mutiis (2019): “Camera Ludica : Reflections on Photography in Video Games,” in: Intermedia Games—Games Inter Media : Video Games and Intermediality, ed. by Michael Fuchs und Jeff Thoss, 69–94. New York: Bloomsbury Academic. http://dx.doi.org/10.5040/9781501330520.ch-003.
The whole volume can be found here:
Fuchs, Michael, und Jeff Thoss (eds.) (2019): Intermedia Games—Games Inter Media: Video Games and Intermediality. New York: Bloomsbury Academic. https://doi.org/10.5040/9781501330520.
Visit the Real Virtual DIGAREC In-Game Photo Gallery
In case you wish to stroll through the real virtual DIGAREC In-Game Photo Gallery containing more than 20 in-game photographic works by students of European Media Studies (http://emw.eu) which was built in Mozilla Hubs, please follow this link: hubs.mozilla.com/TAMobU7.
Basic Readings on In-Game Photography as Practice, Medium, and Art Form
In case you are interested in reading up on the growing discourse of in-game photography here is a list with basic readings on the topic:
- Bittanti, Matteo. 2010. “Game Art: Robert Overweg, Streetphotographer in Video Game Worlds.” Weblog. GAMESCENES. ART IN THE AGE OF VIDEOGAMES. 2010. http://www.gamescenes.org/2010/05/game-art-robert-overweg-streetphotographer-in-a-virtual-world-2010.html.
- ———. 2011. “The Art of Screenshoot-Ing: Joshua Taylor, Videogame Photographer.” Mister Bit – Wired IT (blog). December 24, 2011. http://blog.wired.it/misterbit/2011/12/24/the-art-of-screenshoot-ing-joshua-taylor-videogame-photographer.html.
- Gerling, Winfried. 2018. “Photography in the Digital.” Photographies 11 (2–3): 149–67. https://doi.org/10.1080/17540763.2018.1445013.
- Giddings, Seth. 2013. “Drawing without Light.” In The Photographic Image in Digital Culture, edited by Martin Lister, 41–55. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Lajoie, Jason. 2015. “Playing the Photographer in the Last of Us Remastererd: A New Frontier of Digital Photography.” First Person Scholar (blog). June 24, 2015. http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/playing-the-photographer-in-the-last-of-us-remastered/.
- Moore, Christopher. 2014. “Screenshots as Virtual Photography: Cybernetics, Remediation, and Affect.” In Advancing Digital Humanities: Research, Methods, Theories, edited by Katherine Bode and Paul Longley Arthur, 141–60. http://www.palgraveconnect.com/doifinder/10.1057/9781137337016.
- Möring, Sebastian, and Marco de Mutiis. 2019. “Camera Ludica: Reflections on Photography in Video Games.” In Intermedia Games – Games Inter Media: Video Games and Intermediality, edited by Michael Fuchs and Jeff Thoss, 69–94. New York: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Orlando, Alexandra, and Betsy Brey. 2015. “Press A to Shoot.” Weblog. First Person Scholar (blog). April 15, 2015. http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/press-a-to-shoot/.
- Poremba, Cindy. 2007. “Point and Shoot: Remediating Photography in Gamespace.” Games and Culture 2 (1): 49–58. https://doi.org/10.1177/1555412006295397.
- Raab, Josh, and Ashley Gilbertson. 2014. “A War Photographer Embeds Himself Inside a Video Game.” Time. September 15, 2014. http://time.com/3393418/a-war-photographer-embeds-himself-inside-a-video-game/.
- Rauch, Eron. 2012. “Virtual Light: Exploring In-Game Photography And Photo History.” Weblog. videogametourism.at. August 28, 2012. http://videogametourism.at/content/virtual-light-exploring-game-photography-and-photo-history.
- Rizov, Vladimir. 2020. “PlayStation photography: towards an understanding of video game photography,” in: Game | World | Architectonics: Transdisciplinary Approaches on Structures and Mechanics, Levels and Spaces, Aesthetics and Perception. Heidelberg. Heidelberg University Publishing. (In Press).
- Sandor, Ellen, and Janine Fron. 2001. “The Future of Video Games as an Art: On the Art of Playing with Shadows.” Playing by the Rules: The Cultural Policy Challenges of Video Games. http://culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/sites/culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/files/sandor.pdf.
- Sigl, Rainer. 2012. “The Art of in-game Photography.” Weblog. videogametourism.at. July 25, 2012. http://videogametourism.at/content/art-game-photography.
- Švelch, Jan. 2020. „Redefining Screenshots: Toward Critical Literacy of Screen Capture Practices“. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, September. https://doi.org/10.1177/1354856520950184.